HABITS AND SKILLS FOR SUCCESS
The aim of this course is to develop effective habits and skills for personal and interpersonal success. Properly applied, these habits and skills will enable students to reach their potential.
The course is largely based on Sean Covey’s internationally best-selling book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens. Notes will be provided in class from other resources such as Smart Talk for Achieving Your Potential, The Power of Habits, Do the Hard Things, and Mind Set.
Students are expected to complete assignments, some of which include self-reflection. This course includes skill practice, team activities and completing a challenge project to maximize learning through application. Guest instructors might lead topics.
This course is best suited for High School age level; and, perhaps mature Middle School age students. 13 is the recommended minimum age. Students as old as 21 may also enroll. However, no dual enrollment or college credit can be offered for this class.
This should be categorized as an Elective on your student's transcript. 1/2 Credit. Parents are responsible for managing the transcript for their student. The teacher will communicate the end-of-course grade within 2 weeks of the final class date.
The course has some content similar to the following college courses: NSCC PSYC 2900-Motivation and Emotion; and ETSU’s LEAD 2110-Intro to Leadership Effectiveness . However, no dual enrollment credit is offered for this class.
COVID-19 Policies for Habits & Skills for Success Class:
1. Bristol Academy teachers are trying to keep everyone as safe as possible, but it is impossible to remove all risk. Therefore, students assume risk by entering the classroom.
2. If you have been in close contact with a person with COVID-19, stay home. This includes family members, friends, and co-workers. See this link for a definition of “Close Contact” and instructions on how long to Quarantine.
3. If you have ANY of the COVID-19 symptoms, stay home. These symptoms are listed here and include fever/chills, cough, shortness of breath, fatigue, muscle/body aches, headache, sudden loss of taste/smell, sore throat, congestion/runny nose, nausea/vomiting, diarrhea.
4. Mask-wearing and social distancing are encouraged.
5. Students doing work in small groups will wear masks, at least through the end of March.
If you or someone in your household is in a high-risk group for severe Covid-19 infection or mortality, you should reconsider your enrollment in Habits & Skills for Success. You run the risk of Covid-19 infection by attending this live in-person class. The instructor is happy to direct you to online options if you or someone in your household is at-risk.
The classroom is large, and students are encouraged, but not required, to sit six feet apart from other students. Parents should direct their students with respect to seating recommendations.
Paper or Cloth masks are encouraged, but not required. Parents should direct their students with respect to mask-wearing.
The instructor will not be wearing a mask during the lecture.
The instructor will make the class lecture slides available to any student who misses class due to the above guidelines.
NOTE: Mr. Grabar & Mrs. Meredith will also follow these guidelines. If the teachers or anyone in their households contracts COVID-19 or is otherwise required to quarantine, we will either have an in-person substitute teacher or class will be moved online and continue via Skype or Zoom.
Spring 2021 Wednesdays
1:30 - 3:00 PM
Habits and Skills for Success :
$60* - payable at registration
Two siblings: $100
*Plus insurance and facilities fee.
See Registration page for details.